Sunday 1 February 2009

Porridge, pancakes and packed lunches

It’s 7.00 o’clock in the morning
And outside it’s still very dark
It’s just a normal school day
So get up, get dressed and start

“Hello cat, you’re next I promise”
Boys’ breakfasts first then you
Put a large pan full of porridge
On the gas to start heating through

Begin to empty the dishwasher
The bottom rack of pans and plates
Stir porridge; get juice, “Meeeow”
“Oh cat, I’m sorry you’ll just have to wait”

Dish up and shout “porridge is ready”
Get out scales to weigh food for the cat
Such a pain to be measuring his rations
But the vet said “this cat’s getting fat”

Back to dishwasher, start on the cutlery
When the bread maker sounds a beep beep
Mmm the smell of fresh bread is delicious
All done automatically while we’re asleep

Take out loaf, now it’s time for the pancakes
Whisk up flour, eggs and milk in a jug
While the batter cooks on the first side
Return to dishwasher – bowls, glasses and mugs

The pancake is sizzling nicely
Toss it? I’m just not that brave!
I flip it with the aid of a spatula
And flop it out on a plate

Take a deep breath of fresh morning air
As I lob bottles and tins into crates
I’m fanatical about the recycling
I hope the neighbours are already awake!

Fill sink to wash up lunch boxes
No one remembers the day before
Attack fresh bread with electric carver
No mere knife, it’s my kitchen chain saw

“Where’s my tie?” “Where you left it.”
“PE kit?" "Airing cupboard - it’s clean”
Leave the boys to make their own lunches
Back outside to empty compost bin

Take off lid and chuck in the peelings
See the level's gone down quite a lot
It’s clever how those worms, bugs and beasties
Turn our waste into dark dry compost

Back in doors I sign papers and planners
Say goodbye to the boys as they go
It feels like ten but its only 8.20
And the rest of the day is my own!

No comments: